Welcome to the home of the post-post modern artist, writer, and video maker the Obscure.
Wipe your shoes, clear your mind, and play nice with the other children.

Thursday, July 12, 2012

"The Mysterious World" Outtake Explained

Go and enjoy The Mysterious World is Your Oyster" now on Reviewtopia. Join Arthur C Clarke as he goes in search of the legendary me: the Obscure.

Having rewatched this episode, I noticed something I had forgotten about. At the end of the video, after the credits, I included a strange outtake in which I listen to the radio. Most people think it's funny and all, but probably don't know what's going on. So I'll explain it!

The radio I was using is an old piece I used in the days before satellite radio or Internet stations. You know, when FM stations didn't suck. It broke years ago and hadn't worked since, until I turned the dial during filming and the thing came to life. You can see my genuine surprise as an announcer radiates clearly through the speaker. And wouldn't you know it? It's a Christian broadcasting station. Well of course it is! God forbid (literally) that I get a decent pirate radio station or something cool. I decide to listen to this strange station and not stop the camera. A guy comes on the station who claims to be meteorologist Mike Buresh, but as a Jacksonville native, I can tell you that was not Mike Buresh. It was a doppelganger apparently. Towards the end of the clip, I am about to comment about how strange it is that this radio station should come through so clearly when others won't, but I am interrupted by terrible stock music, so I do the most practical thing: I punch the radio in the face. And no, that is not the radio from The Brave Little Toaster (future episode). I just thought I'd clarify exactly what was happening in that clip. You know, suck the mystery out of it.

TRIVIA: In the take I did use in the episode, you can hear a weird static-filled, distorted noise in the background. Oddity-buffs (or readers of Cracked.com) will recognize that as one of the legendary broadcasts of the Backwards Music Station. Just a little Easter egg for those of you paying attention to the details.
PS. Now the radio really is broken and won't turn on... oops.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this information. May have to re-watch the episode now or at the very least, that ending.

    ReplyDelete