Welcome to the home of the post-post modern artist, writer, and video maker the Obscure.
Wipe your shoes, clear your mind, and play nice with the other children.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Pick of the Now: Morning Star Incense

Image via pearlessenceshop.com
So far, all of my recommendations have been for music, movies, art, books, comics, and more music. It's time I present a THING. Here it is: Morning Star Japanese Incense distributed by Nippon Kodo. I'm constantly burning incense, sage, and candles in my house, so I know a few things about making a place smell like an old stuffy temple. I must say that these Japanese sticks are by far my favorite. First of all, look at the packaging! Seeing these in a store, you feel like you're in the candy section picking out your favorite flavor of Blow-Pop. Each flavor -- I mean scent is radically different from the last, so you really have to go through a few before you can decide on a favorite.

From my experience, I found the Iris and the Mimosa to be a bit too subtle for my liking, but good for atmosphere, Lavender calmed my nerves entirely, Rose got me excited and nostalgic, Vanilla made me hungry for cakes, and Cedarwood and Pine made me feel like I was relaxing in a log cabin. My favorite, and the one I recommend to everybody, is Green Tea. Alas, it is also the rarest and tends not to appear in any shops. However, if you make friends with you local aromatherapy store / New Age hippie shop, you might talk them into ordering it. I did!

Lastly, be aware that incense (anything that burns, really) presents a health risk to your lungs. Use in moderation and in a well-ventilated area. Now excuse me while I go back chain smoking some Pall Malls, chugging a PBR, and shoveling down some McDoubles.

No comments:

Post a Comment